หลวงปู่ฝากไว้ ( Gifts He Left Behind )

ในห้อง 'ทวีป อเมริกา' ตั้งกระทู้โดย paang, 12 เมษายน 2008.

1. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ละเอียด

หลวงพ่อเบธ วัดป่าโคกหม่อน ได้เข้าสนทนาธรรมถึงการปฏิบัติทางสมาธิภาวนา เล่าถึงผลของการปฏิบัติขั้นต่อๆ ไปว่า ได้บำเพ็ญสมาธิภาวนามานาน ให้จิตเข้าถึงอัปปนาสมาธิได้เป็นเวลานานๆ ก็ได้

ครั้นถอยจากสมาธิออกมา บางทีก็เกิดความสุขเอิบอิ่มอยู่เป็นเวลานาน บางทีก็เกิดความสว่างไสว เข้าใจสรรพางค์กายได้อย่างครบถ้วน หรือจะมีอะไรต้องปฏิบัติต่อไปอีก

หลวงปู่ว่า

“อาศัยพลังอัปปนาสมาธินั่นแหละ มาตรวจสอบจิตแล้วปล่อยวางอารมณ์ทั้งหมด อย่าให้เหลืออยู่เลย”

<!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo-->

Refined

Ajaan Bate of Khoke Mawn Forest Monastery came to converse with Luang Pu about the practice of concentration, saying, "I've been practicing concentration for a long time, to the point where I can enter fixed penetration (appana samadhi) for long periods. When I leave meditation, there are times when I feel a rapturous sense of ease long afterwards. Sometimes there's a sense of bright light, and I can fully understand the body. Is there anything else I should do next?"

Luang Pu answered,

"Use the power of that fixed penetration to examine the mind. Then let go of all preoccupations so that there's nothing left at all."

2. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ว่าง

ในสมัยต่อมา หลวงพ่อเบธพร้อมด้วยพระสหธรรมิกอีกสองรูป และมีคฤหัสถ์หลายคนด้วยเข้านมัสการหลวงปู่

หลังจากหลวงปู่ได้แนะนำข้อปฏิบัติแก่ผู้ที่เข้ามาใหม่แล้ว หลวงพ่อเบธถามถึงข้อปฏิบัติที่หลวงปู่แนะเมื่อคราวที่แล้วว่า การปล่อยวางอารมณ์นั้น ทำได้เพียงชั่วครั้งชั่วคราว หรือชั่วขณะหนึ่งเท่านั้น ไม่อาจให้อยู่ได้เป็นเวลานาน

หลวงปู่ว่า

“แม้ที่ว่าปล่อยวางอารมณ์ได้ชั่วขณะหนึ่งนั้น ถ้าสังเกตจิตไม่ดี หรือสติไม่สมบูรณ์เต็มที่แล้ว ก็อาจเป็นได้ว่าละจากอารมณ์หยาบไปอยู่กับอารมณ์ละเอียดก็ได้ จึงต้องหยุดความคิดทั้งปวงเสีย แล้วปล่อยจิตให้ตั้งอยู่บนความไม่มีอะไรเลย”

<!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:72:-->[​IMG]<!--endemo-->

Empty

At a later time, Ajaan Bate, together with two other monks and a large number of lay people, came to pay respect to Luang Pu. After Luang Pu had advised the newcomers on how to do the practice, Ajaan Bate questioned Luang Pu further on the advice he had received on his last visit. "Letting go of all objects is something I can do only momentarily," he said. "I can't stay that way for long periods of time."

Luang Pu said,

"Even if you can let go of all objects for a moment, if you aren't really observant of the mind, or your mindfulness isn't completely all-around, it may be that you've simply let go of a blatant object to move to a more refined object. So you have to stop all thoughts and let the mind settle on nothingness."

3. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ไม่ค่อยแจ่ม

กระผมได้อ่านประวัติการปฏิบัติธรรมของหลวงปู่เมื่อสมัยเดินธุดงค์ว่า หลวงปู่เข้าใจเรื่องจิตได้ดีว่า จิตปรุงกิเลส หรือว่ากิเลสปรุงจิต ข้อนี้หมายความว่าอย่างไร

หลวงปู่อธิบายว่า

“จิตปรุงกิเลส คือ การที่จิตบังคับให้กาย วาจา ใจ กระทำสิ่งภายนอก ให้มี ให้เป็น ให้ดี ให้เลว ให้เกิดวิบากได้ แล้วยึดติดอยู่ว่า นั่นเป็นตัว นั่นเป็นตน ของเรา ของเขา กิเลสปรุงจิต คือ การที่สิ่งภายนอกเข้ามาทำให้จิตเป็นไปตามอำนาจของมัน แล้วยึดว่ามีตัว มีตนอยู่ สำคัญผิดจากความเป็นจริงอยู่ร่ำไป”

Not all that clear

Someone said: "I've read the passage in your biography where it says that, while you were wandering, you came to a good understanding about the issue of the mind concocting defilements and defilements concocting the mind. What does that mean?"

Luang Pu answered,

"'The mind concocting defilements' refers to the mind's forcing thoughts, words, and deeds to make external things come into being, making them good, making them bad, giving rise to the results of kamma, and then latching onto those things, thinking, 'That's me. That's my self. That's mine. That's theirs.'

"'Defilements concocting the mind' refers to external things coming in to force the mind in line with their power, so that it fastens on to the idea that it has a self, assuming things that keep deviating from the truth."

4. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    รู้จากการเรียน กับรู้จากการปฏิบัติ

ศีล สมาธิ ปัญญา วิมุติ ที่กระผมจำจากตำราและฟังครูสอนนั้น จะตรงกับเนื้อหาตามที่หลวงปู่เข้าใจหรือ

หลวงปู่อธิบายว่า

“ศีล คือปกติจิตที่อยู่อย่างปราศจากโทษ เป็นจิตที่มีเกราะกำบังป้องกันการกระทำชั่วทุกอย่าง

สมาธิ ผลสืบเนื่องมาจากการรักษาศีล คือจิตที่มีความมั่นคง มีความสงบเป็นพลัง ที่จะส่งต่อไปอีก

ปัญญา ผู้รู้ คือจิตที่ว่าง เบาสบาย รู้แจ้งแทงตลอดตามความเป็นจริงอย่างไร

วิมุติ คือจิตที่เข้าถึงความว่าง จากความว่าง คือละความสบาย เหลือแต่ความไม่มี ไม่เป็น ไม่มีความคิดเหลืออยู่เลย”

Knowledge from study vs. knowledge from practice

Someone said: "The teachings about virtue, concentration, discernment, and release that I've memorized from books and from the teachings of various ajaans: Are they in line with Luang Pu's understanding of their essence?"

Luang Pu answered,

"Virtue means the normalcy of a mind that's free of faults, the mind that has armored itself against doing evil of any kind.

Concentration is the result that comes from maintaining that virtue, i.e. a mind with solidity, with stillness as the strength sending it on to the next step.

Discernment — "what knows" — is a mind empty, light, and at ease, seeing things clearly, all the way through, for what they really are.

Release is a mind that enters emptiness from that emptiness. In other words, it lets go of the ease, leaving a state where it is nothing and has nothing, with no thought remaining at all."

5. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    อุบายคลายความยึด

เมื่อกระผมทำความสงบให้เกิดขึ้นแล้ว ก็พยายามรักษาจิตให้ดำรงอยู่ในความสงบนั้นด้วยดี แต่ครั้นกระทบกระทั่งกับอารมณ์อย่างใดอย่างหนึ่ง จิตก็มักจะสูญเสียสถานะที่พยายามธำรงไว้นั้นร่ำไป

หลวงปู่ว่า
    “ถ้าเช่นนั้น แสดงว่าสมาธิของตนเองยังไม่แข็งแกร่งเพียงพอ ถ้าเป็นอารมณ์แรงกล้าเป็นพิเศษ โดยเฉพาะอารมณ์ที่เป็นจุดอ่อนของเราแล้ว ต้องแก้ด้วยวิปัสสนาวิธี จงเริ่มต้นด้วยการพิจารณาสภาวธรรมที่หยาบที่สุด คือ กายแยกให้ละเอียด พิจารณาให้แจ่มแจ้ง ขยับถึงพิจารณานามธรรม อะไรก็ได้ทีละคู่ที่เราเคยแยกพิจารณามาก็มี ความดำความขาว ความมืดความสว่าง เป็นต้น”

A strategy for loosening attachment

Someone said: "When I bring the mind to stillness, I try to keep it firmly in that stillness. But when it meets up with an object or preoccupation, it keeps tending to lose the foundation I've been trying to maintain."

Luang Pu responded,

"If that's the way it is, then it shows that your concentration isn't resilient enough. If these preoccupations are especially strong — and in particular, if they concern your weak points — you have to deal with them using the methods of insight. Start out by contemplating the coarsest natural phenomenon — the body — analyzing it down to its details. When you've contemplated it so that it's perfectly clear, move on to contemplating mental phenomena — anything at all, in pairs, that you've ever analyzed, such as black and white, or dark and bright."

6. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    การค้ากับการปฏิบัติธรรม

พวกกระผมมีภาระหน้าที่ในการค้าขาย ซึ่งบางครั้งจะต้องพูดอะไรออกไปเกินความจริงบ้าง ค้ากำไรเกินควรบ้าง แต่กระผมก็มีความสนใจและเลื่อมใสในการปฏิบัติทางสมาธิภาวนาอย่างยิ่ง แล้วก็ได้ลงมือปฏิบัติมาบ้างแล้วโดยลำดับ แต่บางท่านบอกว่าภาระหน้าที่อย่างผมนี้มาปฏิบัติภาวนาไม่ได้ผลหรอก หลวงปู่เห็นว่าอย่างไร เพราะเขาว่าขายของเอากำไรก็เป็นบาปอยู่

หลวงปู่ว่า

“เพื่อดำรงชีพอยู่ได้ ทุกคนจึงต้องมีอาชีพการงานและอาชีพการงานทุกสาขาย่อมมีความถูกต้อง ความเหมาะความควรอยู่ในตัวของมัน เมื่อทำให้ถูกต้องพอเหมาะพอควรแล้ว ก็เป็นอัพยากตธรรม ไม่เป็นบาป ไม่เป็นบุญแต่ประการใด ส่วนการประพฤติธรรมนั้นเป็นสิ่งที่ควรกระทำ เพราะผู้ประพฤติธรรมเท่านั้น ย่อมสมควรแก่การงานทุกกรณี”

Business practices & Dhamma practice

A group of merchants said, "We have our duties as merchants, which means that sometimes we have to exaggerate things or take excessive profits, but we're extremely interested in practicing concentration and have already started practicing. Some people have told us, though, that, with our livelihood, we can't practice meditation. What do you say about this, Luang Pu? For they say that selling for a profit is a sin."

Luang Pu said,

"In order to survive, every person needs an occupation, and every occupation has its own standards of what's right and appropriate. When you follow those standards in a proper way, that counts as neutral — not meritorious, not sinful. As for practicing the Dhamma, that's something you should do, for only those who practice the Dhamma are fit to work in all circumstances."

7. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    เรื่องกิน

กระผมได้ปฏิบัติทางจิตมานาน ก็พอมีความสงบอยู่บ้าง แต่มีปัญหาทางอาหารเมื่อบริโภคเนื้อสัตว์ คือเพียงแต่เห็นก็นึกเวทนาไปถึงเจ้าของเนื้อนั้น ว่าเขาต้องสูญเสียชีวิตเพื่อเราผู้บริโภคแท้ๆ คล้ายๆ กับว่าเราผู้ปฏิบัติจะขาดเมตตาไปมาก เมื่อเกิดความกังวลใจเช่นนี้ ก็ทำความสงบใจได้ยาก

หลวงปู่ว่า

“ภิกษุจะบริโภคปัจจัยสี่ต้องพิจารณาเสียก่อน เมื่อพิจารณาแล้วเห็นว่า การกินเนื้อสัตว์คล้ายเป็นการเบียดเบียนและขาดเมตตาต่อสัตว์ ก็ให้งดเว้นการฉันเนื้อเสีย พากันฉันอาหารเจต่อไป”

On eating

A group of monks came to pay their respects to Luang Pu before the Rains Retreat and one of them said, "I've been meditating for a long time and have attained some peace, but I have this problem about eating meat. Even just looking at meat, I feel sorry for the animal to whom the meat belonged, that it had to sacrifice its life simply for me to consume it. It's as if I really lack compassion. When I start worrying about this, I find it hard to bring my mind to peace."

Luang Pu said,

"When a monk partakes of the four requisites, he should contemplate them first. If, on contemplating, he sees that eating meat is a form of oppression and shows a lack of compassion for animals, he should abstain from eating meat and eat vegetarian food instead."

8. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    เรื่องกินมีอีก

สมัยต่อมาประมาณสี่เดือน ภิกษุกลุ่มนั้นมากราบเรียนหลวงปู่อีกหลังจากออกพรรษาแล้ว บอกว่า พวกกระผมฉันเจมาตลอดพรรษาด้วยความยากลำบากอย่างยิ่ง เพราะญาติโยมแถวบ้านโคกกลาง อำเภอปราสาทนั้น ไม่มีใครรู้เรื่องอาหารเจเลย ลำบากด้วยการแสวงหา และลำบากแก่ญาติโยมผู้อุปัฏฐาก บางรูปถึงสุขภาพไม่ดี บางรูปเกือบไม่พ้นพรรษา การทำความเพียรก็ไม่เต็มที่เท่าที่ควร

หลวงปู่ว่า

ภิกษุเมื่อจะบริโภคปัจจัยสี่ต้องพิจารณาเสียก่อน ครั้นเมื่อพิจารณาแล้ว เห็นว่าอาหารที่ตั้งอยู่เฉพาะหน้านี้แม้จะมีผักบ้าง เนื้อบ้าง ปลาบ้าง ข้าวสุกบ้าง แต่ก็เป็นของบริสุทธิ์โดยส่วนสามคือ ไม่ได้เห็น ไม่ได้ยิน และเขาไม่ได้ฆ่าเพื่อเจาะจงเรา และเราก็แสวงหามาโดยชอบธรรมแล้ว ญาติโยมเขาก็ถวายด้วยศรัทธาเลื่อมใสแล้ว ก็พึงบริโภคอาหารนั้นไป ครูบาอาจารย์ของเราท่านก็ปฏิบัติอย่างนี้มาแล้วเหมือนกัน”

More on eating

About three or four months later, the same group of monks came to pay their respects to Luang Pu after the Rains Retreat and told him, "We ate vegetarian food throughout the rains, but it was very difficult. The lay people where we were staying in Khoke Klaang village, Praasaat district, knew nothing about vegetarian food. We had trouble finding any, and it was troublesome for the people who were supporting us. Some of the monks ended up in poor health, and some of us almost didn't make it all the way through the Rains Retreat. We weren't able to put as much effort into our meditation as we should have."

Luang Pu said,

"When a monk partakes of the four requisites, he should contemplate them first. If, on contemplating, he sees that the food in front of him — whether it's vegetables, meat, fish, or rice — is pure in three ways in that he hasn't seen or heard or suspected that an animal was killed to provide the food specifically for him, and also that he himself obtained the food in an ethical way, that the lay people donated it out of faith, then he should go ahead and eat that food. This is how our teachers have practiced as well."

9. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    เรื่องกินยังไม่จบ

เมื่อวันแรม ๒ ค่ำ เดือน ๓ พ.ศ. ๒๕๒๒ หลวงปู่พักอยู่ที่วัดป่าประโคนชัย เวลา ๒ ทุ่มผ่านไปแล้ว มีภิกษุกลุ่มหนึ่ง ซึ่งชอบเดินธุดงค์ไปตามที่ชุมนุมต่างๆ ได้แวะเข้าไปพักที่วัดป่านั้นด้วย

หลังจากแสดงความคารวะตามสมณวิสัยแล้ว ก็กล่าวถึงจุดเด่นที่เขายึดถือเป็นหลักปฏิบัติว่า ผู้บริโภคเนื้อสัตว์คือผู้สนับสนุนให้คนฆ่าสัตว์ ผู้บริโภคผักมีจิตเมตตาสูง สามารถพิสูจน์ได้ว่าเมื่อหันไปบริโภคผักแล้ว จิตใจก็สงบเย็นดีขึ้น

หลวงปู่ว่า

“ดีทีเดียวแหละ ท่านผู้ใดสามารถฉันมังสวิรัตได้ก็เป็นการดีมาก ขอนุโมทนาสาธุด้วย ส่วนท่านที่ยังฉันมังสะอยู่ หากมังสะเหล่านั้นเป็นของบริสุทธิ์โดยส่วนสามคือ ไม่ได้เห็น ไม่ได้ยิน ไม่สงสัยว่าเขาเจาะจง ได้มาด้วยความบริสุทธิ์แล้ว ก็ไม่ผิดธรรมผิดวินัยแต่ประการใด อนึ่ง ที่ว่าจิตใจสงบเยือกเย็นดีนั้น ก็เป็นผลเกิดขึ้นจากพลังของการตั้งใจปฏิบัติให้ถูกต้องตามพระธรรมวินัย ไม่เกี่ยวกับอาหารใหม่ อาหารเก่าที่อยู่ในท้องเลย”

Still more on eating

On the second day of the waning moon in the third month of 1979, Luang Pu was staying at Prakhonchai Forest Monastery. After 8 p.m. a group of monks who liked to wander around, pitching their tents near populated areas, came to the monastery to spend the night there, too. After paying their respects to Luang Pu, they talked about what they felt was the outstanding feature of their practice, saying, "Those who eat meat are supporting the killing of animals. Those who eat only vegetables show a high degree of compassion. The proof of this is that when you convert to eating just vegetables, the mind becomes more peaceful and cool."

Luang Pu responded,

"That's very good. The fact that you can be vegetarians is very good, and I'd like to express my admiration. As for those who still eat meat, if that meat is pure in three ways — in that they haven't seen or heard or suspected that an animal was killed to provide the food specifically for them — and they obtained it in a pure way, then eating the meat is in no way against the Dhamma and Vinaya. But when you say that your mind becomes peaceful and cool, that's the result of the strength that comes from being intent on practicing correctly in line with the Dhamma and Vinaya. It has nothing to do with the new food or old in your stomach at all."

10. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ความหลังยังฝังใจ

ครั้งหนึ่งหลวงปู่ไปพักผ่อนที่วัดป่าโยธาประสิทธิ์ พระเณรจำนวนมากมากราบนมัสการหลวงปู่ ฟังโอวาทของหลวงปู่แล้ว หลวงตาพลอย ผู้บวชเมื่อแก่ แต่สำรวมดี ได้ปรารภถึงตนเองว่า กระผมบวชมาก็นานพอสมควรแล้ว ยังไม่อาจตัดห่วงอาลัยในอดีตได้ แม้จะตั้งใจอย่างไรก็เผลอจนได้ ขอทราบอุบายวิธีอย่างอื่นเพื่อปฏิบัติตามแนวนี้ต่อไปด้วยครับกระผม

หลวงปู่ว่า

“อย่าให้จิตแล่นไปสู่อารมณ์ภายนอก ถ้าเผลอเมื่อรู้ตัวให้รีบดึงกลับมา อย่าปล่อยให้มันรู้อารมณ์ดีหรือชั่ว สุขหรือทุกข์ ไม่คล้อยตาม และไม่หักหาญ”

Buried memories

Once when Luang Pu was staying at Yothaaprasit Forest Monastery, a large number of monks and novices came to pay their respects. After they had listened to his teachings, Luang Taa Ploi — who had ordained when he was old but was well restrained in his practice — said to Luang Pu, "I've ordained for a fairly long time now, but I can't yet cut my attachments to the past. No matter how firmly I set my mind on the present, I find that mindfulness lapses and I keep slipping back. Could you tell me another method to stop this sort of thing?"

Luang Pu responded,

"Don't let the mind run out after external preoccupations. If your mindfulness lapses, then as soon as you're aware of it, immediately pull it back. Don't let it go looking into preoccupations that are good or bad, pleasant or painful. Don't fall in line with them, but don't use force to cut them off."

11. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ความหลังยังฝังใจ

ครั้งหนึ่งหลวงปู่ไปพักผ่อนที่วัดป่าโยธาประสิทธิ์ พระเณรจำนวนมากมากราบนมัสการหลวงปู่ ฟังโอวาทของหลวงปู่แล้ว หลวงตาพลอย ผู้บวชเมื่อแก่ แต่สำรวมดี ได้ปรารภถึงตนเองว่า กระผมบวชมาก็นานพอสมควรแล้ว ยังไม่อาจตัดห่วงอาลัยในอดีตได้ แม้จะตั้งใจอย่างไรก็เผลอจนได้ ขอทราบอุบายวิธีอย่างอื่นเพื่อปฏิบัติตามแนวนี้ต่อไปด้วยครับกระผม

หลวงปู่ว่า

“อย่าให้จิตแล่นไปสู่อารมณ์ภายนอก ถ้าเผลอเมื่อรู้ตัวให้รีบดึงกลับมา อย่าปล่อยให้มันรู้อารมณ์ดีหรือชั่ว สุขหรือทุกข์ ไม่คล้อยตาม และไม่หักหาญ”

Buried memories

Once when Luang Pu was staying at Yothaaprasit Forest Monastery, a large number of monks and novices came to pay their respects. After they had listened to his teachings, Luang Taa Ploi — who had ordained when he was old but was well restrained in his practice — said to Luang Pu, "I've ordained for a fairly long time now, but I can't yet cut my attachments to the past. No matter how firmly I set my mind on the present, I find that mindfulness lapses and I keep slipping back. Could you tell me another method to stop this sort of thing?"

Luang Pu responded,

"Don't let the mind run out after external preoccupations. If your mindfulness lapses, then as soon as you're aware of it, immediately pull it back. Don't let it go looking into preoccupations that are good or bad, pleasant or painful. Don't fall in line with them, but don't use force to cut them off."

12. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    หลวงปู่กับเกจิอาจารย์

เมื่อประมาณ พ.ศ. ๒๕๒๐ หลวงปู่รับนิมนต์ไปร่วมพิธีกรรมที่วัดธรรมมงคล สุขุมวิท ในงานนี้ท่านรับนิมนต์เข้าไปนั่งปรกในพิธีพุทธาภิเษกวัตถุด้วย เมื่อเสร็จพิธีแล้วออกมานั่งพักที่กุฏิเล็กๆ แห่งหนึ่งสนทนากับเหล่าศิษยานุศิษย์ที่ศึกษาเล่าเรียนอยู่ในกรุงเทพฯ เป็นจำนวนหลายรูป และคงจะมีรูปใดรูปหนึ่ง เมื่อก่อนไม่เคยเห็นหลวงปู่เข้าพิธีพุทธาภิเษก เพิ่งเห็นครั้งนี้เอง เช่นนี้กระมัง

หลวงปู่จึงว่า

“อาจารย์องค์อื่นๆ เขานั่งปรกนั่งพุทธาภิเษกอย่างไรเราไม่รู้ ส่วนตัวเรานั่งสมาธิอย่างเดียว ตามแบบฉบับของเรา”

In his own style

Sometime around 1977, Luang Pu was invited to a celebration at Wat Dhammamongkon on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok. During the celebration, he was invited to "sit in protection" as part of a consecration ceremony for Buddha images and amulets. After the ceremony was over, he went outside to rest in a small hut where he spoke with a large number of his monk-students who were studying in Bangkok at the time. One of the monks commented that he had never seen Luang Pu participate in a ceremony like this before, and wondered if this was his first time. He then went on to ask how one goes about sitting "in protection."

Luang Pu replied,

"I have no idea what the other ajaans do when they're sitting 'in protection' or sitting 'in blessing.' As for me, I simply sit in concentration in my same old style."

13. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    อยากเรียนเก่ง

หนูได้ฟังคุณตาสรศักดิ์ กองสุข แนะนำว่า ถ้าใครต้องการเรียนเก่งและฉลาด ต้องหัดนั่งภาวนา ทำสมาธิให้ใจสงบเสียก่อน หนูอยากจะเรียนเก่งเรียนฉลาดอย่างเขา จึงพยายามนั่งภาวนาทำให้ใจสงบ แต่ใจมันก็ไม่ยอมสงบสักที บางทีก็ยิ่งทวีความฟุ้งซ่านมากขึ้นก็มี เมื่อใจไม่สงบเช่นนี้ทำอย่างไรจึงจะเรียนเก่งเจ้าคะ

หลวงปู่ว่า

“เรียนอะไรก็ให้มันรู้อันนั้น เดี๋ยวก็เก่งเองแหละ ที่ใจไม่สงบ ก็ให้รู้ว่ามันไม่สงบ เพราะอยากสงบมันจึงไม่สงบ ขอให้พยายามภาวนาเรื่อยๆ ไปเถอะ สักวันหนึ่งจะได้สงบตามต้องการ”

"I want to do well in my studies..."

A young girl once said to Luang Pu, "I heard Grandfather Sorasak Kawngsuk say that anyone who wants to be intelligent and do well in her studies should first practice sitting in meditation to get the mind concentrated in stillness. I want to be intelligent and do well in my studies, so I've been trying to meditate and bring my mind to stillness, but it's never been willing to grow still. Sometimes I get even more restless than before. When my mind doesn't grow still in this way, how can I do well in my studies?"

Luang Pu answered,

"Simply focus on knowing what it is that you're studying, and that in itself will help you do well in your studies. When the mind's not still, have it know that it's not still. It's because you want so much for it to be still that it's not still. Just keep at your meditation in a calm way, and the day will come it'll grow still in line with your wishes."

14. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ไปธุดงค์เพื่ออะไร

พระเณรบางกลุ่มหลังจากออกพรรษาแล้ว นิยมพากันออกเที่ยวธุดงค์ไปในที่ต่างๆ มีการตระเตรียมบริขารหรือชุดธุดงค์กันอย่างครบเครื่อง แต่ในการไปนั้นมีอยู่หลายรูปที่ไปแบบผิดเป้าหมาย เช่น ทรงเครื่องกัมมัฏฐานไปรถทัวร์ รถไฟบ้าง เที่ยวไปเยี่ยมเพื่อนฝูงตามสำนักต่างๆ บ้าง

หลวงปู่จึงกล่าวท่ามกลางคณะกัมมัฏฐานว่า

“การกระทำตนเป็นพระธุดงค์รูปงามนั้นย่อมไม่ควร ผิดวัตถุประสงค์ของการเดินธุดงค์ ทุกองค์พึงสำเหนียกให้มากว่า การประพฤติธุดงค์กัมมัฏฐานนั้น มุ่งการฝึกฝนขัดเกลาจิตใจให้ปราศจากกิเลสประการเดียวเท่านั้น การไปธุดงค์กัมมัฏฐานแต่ตัว ส่วนใจไม่ไปนั้น ไม่เป็นการประเสริฐเลย”

The purpose of wandering

Some monks and novices, after the Rains Retreat, like to go off wandering in groups to various places. Each of them makes a big production out of preparing his requisites and a full set of dhutanga accessories. But many of them go in a manner that deviates from the purpose of wandering for seclusion. For instance, some of them wear their dhutanga accessories on air-conditioned buses. Some go visiting their old friends in company offices.

So Luang Pu once said in the midst of a gathering of meditation monks,

"To make yourself a good-looking wandering monk isn't proper at all. It goes against the purpose of going out to wander. Each of you should reflect a great deal on this. The purpose of wandering in meditation is only one thing: to train and polish the heart so that it's free of defilements. To go wandering in meditation only in body, but without taking along the heart, is nothing excellent at all."

15. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    หยุดต้องหยุดให้เป็น

นักปฏิบัติกราบเรียนหลวงปู่ว่า กระผมพยายามหยุดคิด หยุดนึกให้ได้ตามที่หลวงปู่เคยสอน แต่ไม่เป็นผลสำเร็จสักที ซ้ำยังเกิดความอึดอัดแน่นใจ สมอง แต่กระผมก็ยังศรัทธาว่าที่หลวงปู่สอนไว้ย่อมไม่ผิดพลาดแน่ ขอทราบอุบายวิธีต่อไปด้วย

หลวงปู่บอกว่า

“ก็แสดงถึงความผิดพลาดอยู่แล้ว เพราะบอกให้หยุดคิดหยุดนึก ก็กลับไปคิดที่จะหยุดคิดเสียอีกเล่า แล้วอาการหยุดจะอุบัติขึ้นได้อย่างไร จงกำจัดอวิชชาแห่งการหยุดคิด หยุดนึกเสียให้สิ้น เลิกล้มความคิดที่จะหยุดคิดเสียก็สิ้นเรื่อง”

To stop you have to know how

A meditator once said to Luang Pu, "I've been trying to stop thinking in line with what you've taught, but I've never been able to succeed. What's worse is that I've gotten frustrated and my brain seems dazed. I'm convinced, though, that what you've taught isn't wrong, so I'd like to ask for some advice on what to do next."

Luang Pu responded,

"That shows that you've missed the point. You're told to stop thinking, but all you do is think about stopping your thinking, so how can the actual stopping come about? Get rid of all your ignorance about stopping to think. Abandon your thoughts about stopping your thinking, and that'll be the end of the matter."

16. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ผลคล้ายกันแต่ไม่เหมือนกัน

แรม ๒ ค่ำ เดือน ๑๑ เป็นวันคล้ายวันเกิดของหลวงปู่ ซึ่งพอดีกับวันออกพรรษาแล้วได้ ๒ วันของทุกปี สานุศิษย์ทั้งฝ่ายปริยัติ และฝ่ายปฏิบัติก็นิยมเดินทางไปกราบนมัสการหลวงปู่ เพื่อศึกษาและไต่ถามข้อวัตรปฏิบัติ หรือรายงานผลของการปฏิบัติมาตลอดพรรษา ซึ่งเป็นกิจที่ศิษย์ของหลวงปู่กระทำอยู่เช่นนี้ตลอดมา

หลังจากฟังหลวงปู่แนะนำข้อวัตรปฏิบัติอย่างพิสดารแล้ว หลวงปู่จบลงด้วยคำว่า

“การศึกษาธรรม ด้วยการอ่านการฟัง สิ่งที่ได้ก็คือสัญญา (ความจำได้) การศึกษาธรรมด้วยการลงมือปฏิบัติ สิ่งที่เป็นผลของการปฏิบัติคือภูมิธรรม”

Similar results, but not the same

The second day of the waning moon of the eleventh month, Luang Pu's birthday, falls on the second day after the end of the Rains Retreat every year. So his students — both scholarly monks and practicing monks — liked to travel to pay their respects to him on that day, to ask his advice on the practice or to report the results of their practice from the preceding Rains. This is one tradition they observed as long as he was alive.

Once, after giving detailed advice on how to practice, Luang Pu ended with the following words,

"Studying the Dhamma by reading and listening results in perceptions and concepts. Studying the Dhamma by practicing it results in actual levels of Dhamma in the heart."

17. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    มีอยู่จุดเดียว

ในนามสัทธิวิหาริกของหลวงปู่ มีพระมหาทวีสุข สอบเปรียญ ๙ ประโยคได้เป็นองค์แรก ทางวัดบูรพารามจึงจัดฉลองพัดประโยค ๙ ถวาย หลังจากพระมหาทวีสุขถวายสักการะแก่หลวงปู่แล้ว ท่านได้ให้โอวาทแบบปรารภธรรมว่า

“ผู้ที่สามารถสอบเปรียญ ๙ ประโยคได้นั้น ต้องมีความเพียรอย่างมาก และมีความฉลาดเพียงพอ เพราะถือว่าเป็นการจบหลักสูตรฝ่ายปริยัติ และต้องแตกฉานในพระไตรปิฎก การสนใจทางปริยัติเพียงอย่างเดียวพ้นทุกข์ไม่ได้ ต้องสนใจปฏิบัติทางจิตต่อไปอีกด้วย”

หลวงปู่กล่าวว่า

“พระธรรมทั้ง ๘๔,๐๐๐ พระธรรมขันธ์นั้น ออกไปจากจิตของพระพุทธเจ้าทั้งหมด ทุกสิ่งทุกอย่างออกจากจิต อยากรู้อะไรค้นได้ที่จิต”

There's only one place

Phra Maha Thaweesuk was the first of Luang Pu's students to pass the ninth and final level of the Pali exams. Thus, in Luang Pu's name, Wat Burapha sponsored a celebration of his achievement.

After Phra Maha Thaweesuk had paid his respects to Luang Pu, Luang Pu gave him a short admonition:

"To be able to pass the ninth level exams shows that you're very industrious, sufficiently intelligent, and an expert in the Canon, for this counts as the completion of the study course. But to be interested just in study can't bring release from suffering. You have to be interested in the practice of training the mind as well.

All 84,000 sections of the Dhamma came out of the Buddha's mind. Everything comes out of the mind. Whatever you want to know, you can look for it in the mind."

18. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    โลกกับธรรม

วันที่ ๑๒ มีนาคม ๒๕๒๒ หลวงปู่ไปพักผ่อนวิเวกอยู่ที่วัดถ้ำศรีแก้ว ภูพาน สกลนคร เป็นเวลา ๑๐ กว่าวัน ค่ำวันสุดท้ายที่หลวงปู่จะเดินทางกลับ ท่านอาจารย์สุวัจน์ พร้อมพระเณรในวัดเข้าไปกราบหลวงปู่เพื่อการอำลาให้หลวงปู่

ท่านกล่าวว่า พักผ่อนอยู่ที่นี่สบายดี อากาศก็ดี ภาวนาก็สบาย นึกถึงบรรยากาศเก่าๆ เมื่อสมัยเที่ยวธุดงค์ แล้วหลวงปู่ก็กล่าวธรรโมวาทมีความตอนหนึ่งว่า

“สิ่งใดซึ่งสามารถรู้ได้ สิ่งนั้นเป็นของโลก สิ่งใดไม่มีอะไรจะรู้ได้ สิ่งนั้นคือธรรม โลกมีของคู่อยู่เป็นนิจ แต่ธรรมเป็นของสิ่งเดียวรวด"

The world vs. the Dhamma

On March 12, 1979, Luang Pu went to Sri Kaew Cave Monastery on Phu Phaan Mountain, Sakon Nakorn province, for more than ten days of solitude and rest. On the evening of the last day before he was to leave, Ajaan Suwat together with the other monks and novices in the monastery came to pay their respects.

Luang Pu commented, "It's been comfortable resting here. The air is good, and the meditation easy. It makes me think of the old days when I was wandering."

Then he gave a Dhamma talk, which included the following passage:

"That which can be known all belongs to the world. As for that which has no thing that can know it, that's the Dhamma. The world always has things that come in pairs, but the Dhamma is one thing all the way through."

19. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    ควรถามหรือไม่

ผู้สนใจในทางปฏิบัติหลายท่าน ไม่ว่าบรรพชิตหรือคฤหัสถ์ บางท่านนอกจากจะตั้งใจปฏิบัติเอาเองแล้ว ยังชอบเที่ยวแสวงหาครูบาอาจารย์ที่มีความชำนาญในการแนะนำสั่งสอน ฟังธรรมจากท่าน เป็นต้น

มีพระนักปฏิบัติคณะหนึ่งจากภาคกลาง ไปพักอยู่หลายวัน เพื่อฟังธรรมและเรียนถามกัมมัฏฐานกับหลวงปู่องค์หนึ่ง พรรณนาความรู้สึกของตนว่า กระผมเข้าหาครูบาอาจารย์มาก็หลายองค์แล้ว ท่านก็สอนดีอยู่หรอก แต่ส่วนมากมักสอนแต่เรื่องระเบียบวินัย หรือวิธีธุดงคกัมมัฏฐาน และความสุขความสงบอันเกิดจากสมาธิเท่านั้น ส่วนหลวงปู่นั้นสอนทางลัด ถึงสิ่งสุดยอดอนัตตา สุญญตา ถึงนิพพาน กระผมขออภัยที่บังอาจถามหลวงปู่ตรงๆ ว่า การที่หลวงปู่สอนเรื่องนิพพานนั้น เดี๋ยวนี้หลวงปู่ถึงนิพพานแล้วหรือยัง

หลวงปู่ปรารภว่า

“ไม่มีอะไรจะถึง และไม่มีอะไรจะไม่ถึง”

Should you ask?

Many people interested in the practice, whether lay or ordained, are not only intent on their practice but also like to search out teachers who are skilled in giving advice.

Once a group of meditating monks from the central region of Thailand came to spend many days listening to Luang Pu's Dhamma and to his advice on meditation. One of the monks told Luang Pu of his feelings: "I've searched out many teachers, and although they all teach well, they generally teach just about the Vinaya, or the practicing of wandering and following the ascetic practices, or else the bliss and stillness that come from practicing concentration. But as for you, you teach the straight route to the top: not-self, emptiness, nibbana. Forgive me for being so forward as to ask, but in teaching about nibbana, have you attained it yet?"

Luang Pu answered,

"There's nothing that will attain, and nothing that won't attain."

20. paang

paang เป็นที่รู้จักกันดี

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    28 เมษายน 2005
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +34,325
    การปฏิบัติธรรมนั้นเพื่ออะไร

หลวงพ่อเบธ ซึ่งเป็นญาติอย่างใกล้ชิดของหลวงปู่ อยู่ที่วัดโคกหม่อน แม้ท่านจะบวชเมื่อวัยชรา แต่ก็เคร่งครัดต่อการปฏิบัติธุดงค์กัมมัฏฐานอย่างยิ่ง หลวงปู่เคยยกย่องว่าปฏิบัติได้ผลดี

วันหนึ่งท่านอาพาธหนักใกล้จะมรณภาพแล้ว ท่านปรารภว่าอยากเห็นหลวงปู่เป็นครั้งสุดท้ายเพื่อลาตาย อาตมาเรียนหลวงปู่ให้ทราบ เมื่อหลวงปู่ไปถึงแล้ว หลวงพ่อเบธลุกกราบ แล้วล้มตัวนอนตามเดิมโดยไม่ได้พูดอะไร แต่มีอาการยิ้ม และสดชื่นเห็นได้ชัด

ขณะนั้น สุรเสียงอันชัดเจนและนุ่มนวลของหลวงปู่ก็มีออกมาว่า

“การปฏิบัติทั้งหลายที่เราพยายามปฏิบัติมา ก็เพื่อจะใช้ในเวลานี้เท่านั้น เมื่อถึงเวลาที่จะตาย ให้ทำจิตให้เป็นหนึ่ง แล้วหยุดเพ่งปล่อยวางทั้งหมด” (หมายถึงออกจากฌานและดับพร้อม)

The purpose of the practice

Ajaan Bate, a close relative of Luang Pu's, lived at Khoke Mawn Monastery. Even though he ordained only late in life, he was extremely strict in his practice of meditation and the ascetic practices. Luang Pu once praised him, saying that his practice had gotten good results. When Ajaan Bate fell seriously ill and was near death, he said that he wanted to see Luang Pu one last time, to bid him farewell before dying. I informed Luang Pu, who went to see him. On his arrival, Ajaan Bate got up and bowed down to him and then lay back on his sleeping mat as before, without saying a word. But his smile and the happy look on his face were easy to see.

Luang Pu said to him in a voice both clear and gentle,

"All the practices you've been trying to practice are specifically meant for use at this time. When the time comes to die, make the mind one, then stop focusing and let go of everything."

แชร์หน้านี้