Thich Nhat Hanh’s final mindfulness lesson: how to die peacefully

ในห้อง 'Buddhist News' ตั้งกระทู้โดย supatorn, 15 มีนาคม 2019.

1. supatorn

supatorn ผู้สนับสนุนเว็บพลังจิต ผู้สนับสนุนพิเศษ

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    14 กรกฎาคม 2010
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +33,014
    Thich Nhat Hanh’s final mindfulness lesson: how to die peacefully
    “Letting go is also the practice of letting in, letting your teacher be alive in you,” says a senior disciple of the celebrity Buddhist monk and author.
    By Eliza Barclay@elizabarclayeliza.barclay@vox.com Mar 11, 2019, 9:20am EDT
    2019_01_30_Thay_viewing_a_book_of_paintings___PHOTO___PVCEB_high_res.0.jpg
    Thich Nhat Hanh, 92, reads a book in January 2019 at the Tu Hieu temple. “For him to return to Vietnam is to point out that we are a stream,” says his senior disciple Brother Phap Dung.
    PVCEB

Thich Nhat Hanh has done more than perhaps any Buddhist alive today to articulate and disseminate the core Buddhist teachings of mindfulness, kindness, and compassion to a broad global audience. The Vietnamese monk, who has written more than 100 books, is second only to the Dalai Lama in fame and influence.

Nhat Hanh made his name doing human rights and reconciliation work during the Vietnam War, which led Martin Luther King Jr. to nominate him for a Nobel Prize.

He’s considered the father of “engaged Buddhism,” a movement linking mindfulness practice with social action. He’s also built a network of monasteries and retreat centers in six countries around the world, including the United States.

In 2014, Nhat Hanh, who is now 92 years old, had a stroke at Plum Village, the monastery and retreat center in southwest France he founded in 1982 that was also his home base. Though he was unable to speak after the stroke, he continued to lead the community, using his left arm and facial expressions to communicate.

In October 2018, Nhat Hanh stunned his disciples by informing them that he would like to return home to Vietnam to pass his final days at the Tu Hieu root temple in Hue, where he became a monk in 1942 at age 16.

As Time’s Liam Fitzpatrick wrote, Nhat Hanh was exiled from Vietnam for his antiwar activism from 1966 until he was finally invited back in 2005. But his return to his homeland is less about political reconciliation than something much deeper. And it contains lessons for all of us about how to die peacefully and how to let go of the people we love.

When I heard that Nhat Hanh had returned to Vietnam, I wanted to learn more about the decision. So I called up Brother Phap Dung, a senior disciple and monk who is helping to run Plum Village in Nhat Hanh’s absence. (I spoke to Phap Dung in 2016 right after Donald Trump won the presidential election, about--> how we can use mindfulness in times of conflict.)
    :- https://www.vox.com/2019/3/11/18196457/thich-nhat-hanh-health-mindfulness-plum-village

แชร์หน้านี้